Free Writing #1 - Untitled


                Terror. Disgust.
                I don’t really know.
                It’s kind of a toss-up when you wake up covered in blood.
               A scream started to rise, a bubbling sound that tasted of panic. What in the ever-loving Hell happened? Memory scrambled to pull on anything that might have hinted as to the reason I was covered head to toe in blood. Nothing. Nothing came.
               The panicked scream, which was now flavored with a hint of vomit lurched up from the pit of my stomach to the top of my throat. But nothing came out as a hand clamped down over my mouth. Shock rattled through me as my eyes focused on the man in front of me.
               Deep topaz eyes smiled at me, his umber skin a glowing. He was spotless, completely clean. His suit was crisp and expensive.
              “All that blood looks good on you. Really brings out the color of your eyes.”
              His voice was a rumble through the space that was far too quiet. He moved his hand away from my mouth and gently stroked my check. I looked around recognizing my bedroom. Tidy and clean. Everything in it’s place.
               So why was I covered in blood?
               Terror. Terror is winning over disgust right now.
               This time, the scream came out and thankfully the vomit stayed in the stomach. The man’s voice cut through me as his hand pressed back again my mouth, harder this time.
               “Let’s not do that. Freaking out will get you nowhere in your current state.”
               My ears were pounding as my heart tried to thud out of my chest.
              “Now, now,” he cooed, “calm. Calm.”
               His words dripped like honey, soothing the frayed nerves of no memories and covered in blood.
               I didn’t hurt. There was nothing in me that felt pain. I was just covered in blood. But who…or what…had this much blood to drown me in it?
              Again, the softness of his hand left my mouth and rested against my bloody cheek.
             “You will not scream,” his voice commanded, stern yet gentle.
              A stirring in my stomach settled the scream back down in the depths, even though my brain demanded the release of disgusted horror at my current state.
             “Good, my dear. Good.” The man sat back, his hand shifting from my face to my sticky hand. “Tell me, do you remember me?
             The question took me back. Remember him? Shouldn’t he be asking if I remember what happened to me?
             “You don’t remember me?” The man looked…disappointed. “Listen, it’s been a while. However, you sold your soul to me to get yourself out of the shit show you were in a few years back?”
             My mouth fell open.
            Oh. No.
            No. No. No. NO.
           “Yes,” he smiled revealing hungry white teeth. “There it is, little one. Now you remember.”
            “But…” I squeaked, “But…?”
            “Now, I appreciate your soul. Every soul that acquire I hold dear. Your soul is especially wonderful.”  He stood the up, pacing the length of my tiny bedroom as he adjusted the cuffs of his shirt beneath the fine suit jacket.
            “The reason of my visit, is that…well, I’m here to return your soul. I have a favor.”

Comments